Monday, May 3, 2010

Kathmandu

I arrived in Kathmandu yesterday afternoon, the Maoist strike is in full force.  They allowed some tourist buses to bring us into town from the airport and drop us off near Thamel, my hotel had someone waiting there to guide me to them.  


My contact and new friend from the Cancer Council Nepal, Shambhu Kadariya came to the hotel to welcome me to Nepal with his nephew Ashim.  They led me on a walking tour of the city.  It's great, what is normally a chaotic frenzy of trucks, motorbikes and cars, was a pedestrian way. Most people don't get to experience Kathmandu like this!









We went to one of the Maoist rallies, everyone was smiling and laughing, it was super peaceful.  They had a special dance performance and singing.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying it, there was no tension on the streets at all.  People let me get up close so I could take some shots.

Here are a few more sights from my tour.....the store are open from 6-8 every night so can get food and supplies.  The owners of my hotel, Michelle and Pujan took everyone to Pujan's uncle's restaurant last night for a newari degustation.  It was absolutely delicious and a great way to meet the other people staying at the hotel.  Tomorrow I am off for another tour with Shambhu....it's difficult to do any work until this strike eases up or ends.   In the mean time I am really enjoying a few days of sight seeing! 



3 comments:

  1. C. you are really capturing and sharing the beauty, bravery, color, wisdom and pain with your pics and words.
    Thank you.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this strike will end soon and you have great time in Nepal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi carolyn, great meeting you at the Courtyard and i'll be sure to follow you as your trip unfolds over the months. all the best. brendan

    ReplyDelete