Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So it begins....


So, here I go, this is my first post....it's been a very strange week for me, I am super excited and completely freaked out.  Two weeks ago I found out that I was a recipient of a British Airways small business grant program that I had entered in September. I couldn't believe it! 10 round trip business class flights to any 4 destinations in the world, 5 cargo shipments, free stays at Marriots, a new printer....the grant was based on 3 essays that I had written talking about how this kind of grant (being able to travel the world and meet with people face to face) would allow me to do something with my business that I couldn't do without it.  Never thinking that I would actually win, I am now faced with the really hard job of figuring out how to make what I wrote about in my essays actually happen...

I am a 3 year, 8 month and 18 day survivor of ovarian and endometrial cancers. I was incredibly lucky to be diagnosed very early with my cancers and have been completely well since my surgery. Since I have recovered, I have been really wanting to do something more meaningful in my work. I really do love what I do, mostly because of the people that I work with, but I sort of just fell into it, I never set out on a path to become a commercial advertising photographer, it just sort of happened.  So now I have an opportunity to do something really meaningful in my work.  I want to show how women around the world that are either battling cancer or are cancer survivors are all connected.  I want to document how the battle against cancer is something that unites all women, regardless of their race, religion, nationality or economic status.  I also really want to show survivorship, that there are amazing stories of women beating cancer.  This is an evolving project and I am just starting to really flesh out what I want to do and show. I will be really pulling it together in the next month or so.

This project is incredibly daunting to me. I am so excited but absolutely petrified that I won't be able to pull this off, that I don't have the eye for it,  or that I won't do it justice, but I feel compelled to do this project.  I have been waiting for an opportunity to do something for the past 3 1/2 years that would express how I feel about having cancer and recovering from it.  I am a big believer in going with your gut, and my gut has a great feeling about this, let's just hope that my mind gets in line!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a life changer, alright! Good for you, Carolyn! Can't wait to see the images when it's all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was meant to be, Carolyn! I'm so happy for you! WOW, what an amazing opportunity . . . now instead of shooting salads and dressings, you get to shoot the powerful imagery that celebrates life and love and the power of healing. That is an amazing new year's gift! EMBRACE IT!- Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard it is to be confident and believe in yourself. Remember, I suffer from the same disability. But look at all you've already achieved. It's gonna be great. You're gonna do great. Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! You will do an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust your wonderful eyes and your magnificent heart. Do it like you've done every other job, with everything you have. I can't wait to see the results, I know they'll be amazing! I'll be in the first row of your first book signing, wherever it is. Just keep yourself safe, can't imagine this world without you in it.

    ReplyDelete